Discussion Questions on Frey and Stuzer, What Can Economists Learn from Happiness Research?
1. What do the authors take happiness, well-being, life satisfaction, and utility to be and how are these related to one another?
2. What is what they call the "modern view" of utility? What does it imply concerning preferences? What alternative interpretations are implicit in Frey and Stutzer's discussion.
3. What are the main empirical findings concerning:
1. the correlation between income and happiness within a country
2. the correlation between income and happiness across countries
3. the correlation between income and happiness over time
4. How are these three findings to be explained?
5. What is the correlation between unemployment and happiness? What does that correlation teach us concerning economic theories of unemployment?
6. How much do you think the study of happiness can contribute to normative economics?