Discussion Questions on Chapter 8 of EAMPPP
1. What is the difference between an intrinsic and an instrumental good? Can you give any examples of intrinsic goods?
2. Why do economists identify well-being with preference satisfaction? How can this identification be defended?
3. Chapter 8 develops a number of objections to or difficulties for the view that well-being consists of preference satisfaction. List at least four of these. Which seems the most puzzling? Which seems to you to be the most serious objection?
4. What is the best way to respond to the objects to preference satisfaction theories of well-being?
5. What alternatives are there to preference satisfaction theories of well-being?
4. Sen and Nussbaum want to shift the attention of normative economics from welfare to functionings and capabilities. Why? What are "functionings" and "capabilities"?