Discussion Questions on Weber
1. Weber believes that laws play a somewhat different role in the social sciences and the natural sciences. What are his views? Do you think he is right?
2. According to Weber, what role do and should values play in the social sciences?
3. Weber maintains (p. 64) that all knowledge of "cultural reality" is always from "particular points of view." Do you think this is true? Why does Weber think this? What importance does this have?
4. In what ways are the conclusions of the social sciences "subjective"? In what ways are the conclusions of the social sciences "objective"?
5. What are "ideal types"? What roles do they play in the social sciences? How are they to be assessed?