Discussion Questions on Chapters 4 and 5 of Backhouse
1. Why are most mainstream economists so gung-ho about free trade?
2. What are the criteria in terms of which we should judge whether globalization is good or bad?
3. What is arbitrage? What importance does the notion have within economics?
4. What is a financial derivative? Why have financial derivatives become so much more important during the past generation?
5. Why do banks need regulating? What connection is there between controling the money supply and regulating banks?
6. To what extent are economists to blame for the lesser depression?